- The winner hymn of this contest will be the representative song for the Pope’s visit.
- Close to 100 compositions have been submitted from Chiclayo, Cusco, Piura, Arequipa, among others.
- The finale will be on November 17th.
October 25, 2017.- The Peruvian Episcopalian Conference (CEP) designed the judges in charge of choosing the official hymn for the pastoral visit Pope Francis will pay to the cities of Lima, Trujillo and Madre de Dios on January 18th, 2018.
The above-mentioned team is formed by Marco Romero and Nicole Pillman, both Peruvian singers and song writers; Luis Benites Rodriguez, choir director from Trujillo, as well as communicator and priest Victor Hugo Miranda.
This team of professionals of well-known artistic trajectory is in charge of evaluating and selecting the music pieces inspired on the motto for the Pope’s visit: United by hope.
As you may recall, all Peruvian inhabitants were convocated for this contest, which were asked to submit their compositions either in an envelope, through email, or through the website for the Pope’s visit, www.papafranciscoenperu.org.
PARTICIPATION AT NATIONAL LEVEL
Since the announcement of the contest on September 7th by the Media Coordinator for the Pope’s visit, Mosignor Miguel Cabrejos, participation at national level has been massive. The pieces have come from Cusco, Arequipa, Abancay, Ayacucho, Lambayeque, La Libertad, Puerto Maldonado, Tingo María, and Lima.
ABOUT THE WINNER
The winner of this contest will receive acknowledgement from the Peruvian Episcopalian Conference; it will be produced in a professional studio and will become the song that will represent the visit of Pope Francis to Peru in 2018.
The finale will be on November 17th.
- Marco Romero is a singer and songwriter with 20 years of musical trajectory. Among his most popular compositions we name “Porque yo creo en ti” (Because I believe in you), which talks about the hope of our football national team and its participation in the World Cup 2018 in Russia.
- Nicole Pillman is a Peruvian singer and song writer who, thanks to her great voice, got a presence in TV shows such as MTV in pop and ballad genres. She also participated in the competition Latin American Idol 2008 and is now for the first time joining Peruvian genres such as waltz, landó and alcatraz.
- Luis Benites is an experienced musician from Trujillo, specialized in choir direction, and piano player of academic and popular music. He is the current Director of the Polyphonic Choir of the private university Antenor Orrego in Trujillo.
- Victor Hugo Miranda is a journalist and Jesuit priest. At present he is a columnist for national newspaper La Republica, where he also used to be an editor.